The Clicquot brand, etc., the best brand, etc. That is
the merchant's or excise mark branded on the article itself, the vessel
which contains the article, the wrapper which covers it, the cork of
the bottle, etc., to guarantee its being genuine, etc. Madame Clicquot,
of champagne notoriety, died in 1866.
He has the brand of villain in his looks.
It was once customary to brand the cheeks of felons with an F. The
custom was abolished by law in 1822.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brand from Fact Monster:
- Sir John Henry Brand - Brand, Sir John Henry Brand, Sir John Henry, or Jan Hendrik Brand, 1823–88, South African ...
- Georg Morris Cohen Brandes - Brandes, Georg Morris Cohen Brandes, Georg Morris Cohen , 1842–1927, Danish literary critic. ...
- Russell Brand - Biography of Russell Brand, The British comedian who starred in Get Him to the Greek
- Kleenex is Really a Brand Name - Kleenex is Really a Brand Name Yes, Kleenex is a brand name for facial tissues. Some product names, ...
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Brand Names - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...