A child; so called from the Welsh, brat, a child's
pinafore; and brat is a contraction of brattach, a cloth,
also a standard.
“Every man must repair to the brattach of his tribe.” —Scott.
O Israel! O household of the Lord!
O Abraham's brats! O brood of blessed seed!
Gascoigne: De Profundis.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brat from Fact Monster:
- Rob Lowe - Rob Lowe actor Born: 3/17/1964 Birthplace: Charlottesville, Virginia Film actor who was part of the ...
- Judd Nelson - Judd Nelson actor Born: 11/28/1959 Birthplace: Portland, Maine A member of the so-called ...
- Poetry Month | Recommended Children's Books - Great books of poetry for kids
- Bapsi Sidhwa - Bapsi Sidhwa novelist Born: 1938 Birthplace: Karachi, Pakistan Often called Pakistan's leading ...
- Emilio Estevez - Emilio Estevez actor, director, screenwriter Born: 5/12/1962 Birthplace: New York City The eldest ...