To wear the breeches. Said of a woman who usurps the prerogative of
her husband. Similar to The grey mare is the better horse. (See Grey. )
The phrase is common to the French, Dutch, Germans, etc., as Elle porte les braies. Die vrouw die hosen anhaben. Sie hat die Hösen.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Breeches from Fact Monster:
- bear's-breech - bear's-breech: bear's-breech: see acanthus.
- Dutchman's-breeches - Dutchman's-breeches: Dutchman's-breeches: see fumitory.
- fumitory - fumitory fumitory, common name for some members of the Fumariaceae, a family of herbs native to ...
- acanthus - acanthus acanthus , common name for a member of the Acanthaceae, a family of chiefly perennial ...
- Patrick Ferguson - Ferguson, Patrick Ferguson, Patrick, 1744–80, British army officer in the American ...