The spectre of the Brocken. This is the shadow of men and other
objects greatly magnified and reflected in the mist and cloud of the
mountain opposite. The Brocken is the highest summit of the Harz range.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brocken from Fact Monster:
- Brocken - Brocken Brocken , granite peak, 3,747 ft (1,142 m) high, central Germany; highest peak of the Harz ...
- Harz - Harz Harz , mountain range, northern Germany, extending c.60 mi (100 km) between the Elbe and Leine ...
- Walter de la Mare - de la Mare, Walter de la Mare, Walter , 1873–1956, English poet and novelist. For many years ...
- May Day - The First of May means many different things
- Encyclopedia: Central European Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Central European Physical Geography.