(2 syl.). A blacksmith personified, one of the Cyclops. The
name signifies Thunder.
Not with such weight, to frame the forky brand,
The ponderous hammer falls from Brontes' hand.
Hoole: Jerusalem Delivered, book xx.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brontes from Fact Monster:
- Brontë - Brontë Brontë , family of English novelists, including Charlotte Brontë,. ...
- Brontë: Bibliography - Bibliography The early (1857) biography of Charlotte by Mrs. Elizabeth Gaskell, although containing ...
- Brontë: An Appraisal - An Appraisal Of the three prodigiously gifted Brontë sisters Anne has been judged the least ...
- Brontë: Lives and Works - Lives and Works The Brontë sisters were daughters of Patrick Brontë (1777–1861), an ...
- Charlotte Brontë - Biography of Charlotte Brontë, Author of Jane Eyre