means the Wise One. From the Indian word budh, to
know. The title was given to Prince Siddhartha, generally called
Saky'a-muni, the founder of Buddhism. His wife's name was Gopa.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Buddha from Fact Monster:
- Buddha - Buddha Buddha [Skt.,=the enlightened One], usual title given to the founder of Buddhism. He is also ...
- Buddha: Bibliography - Bibliography See E. J. Thomas, The Life of Buddha as Legend and History (3d ed. 1952, repr. 1960); ...
- Buddha: Enlightenment - Enlightenment Siddhartha first studied yogic meditation under the teachers Alara Kalama and Udraka ...
- Caves of the Thousand Buddhas - Caves of the Thousand Buddhas: Caves of the Thousand Buddhas: see Dunhuang.
- Buddha - Biography of Buddha, The founder of Buddhism