The nightingale. A Persian word, familiarised by Tom Moore.
“'Twas like the notes, half-ecstasy, half-pain, The bulbul utters.”
Moore: Lalla Rookh
(Veiled Prophet, part 1, stanza 14).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bulbul from Fact Monster:
- hartebeest - hartebeest hartebeest , large African antelope of the genus Alcelaphus. The hartebeest resembles a ...
- bulbul, in zoology, antelope - bulbul bulbul, antelope: see hartebeest.
- bulbul, in zoology, bird - bulbul bulbul , bird, common name for members of the family Pycnonotidae, comprising 119 species of ...
- nightingale - nightingale nightingale, common name for a migratory Old World bird of the family Turdidae (thrush ...
- Encyclopedia: Vertebrate Zoology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Vertebrate Zoology.