To overbear with words. A bully is a blustering menacer.
(Anglo-Saxon, bulgian, to bellow like a bull.) It is often
used, without any mixture of reproof, as a term of endearment, as:-
“O sweet bully Bottom.” —Midsummer Night's Dream, iv. 4.
“Bless thee, bully doctor.” —Merry Wives of Windsor, ii. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bully from Fact Monster:
- The Ant Bully - Starring Nicolas Cage, Alan Cumming, Zach Tyler Eisen, Paul Giamatti, Myles Jeffrey
- The Ant Bully: An IMAX 3D Experience - Starring Nicolas Cage, Alan Cumming, Zach Tyler Eisen, Paul Giamatti, Myles Jeffrey
- Brontosaurus - The Great Brontosaurus Hoax by Borgna Brunner The story of dinosaurs used to be simple. There was ...
- Kids World - Starring Christopher Lloyd, Blake Foster, Michael Purvis, Anton Tennet, Todd Emerson
- George MacDonald Fraser - Biography of George MacDonald Fraser, A British writer who wrote the Flashman novels over four decades. The series of novels feature the fighting, drinking, and womanizing of Fla…