Cremation. The Parsees neither bury or burn their dead, because
they will not defile the elements (fire and earth). So they carry their
dead to the Tower of Silence, and leave the body there to be devoured
by vultures. (See Nineteenth Century, October, 1893, p. 611.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Burying from Fact Monster:
- Richard de Bury - Richard de Bury Richard de Bury , 1287–1345, English bibliophile and bishop of Durham. His ...
- Bury - Bury Bury , city (1991 pop. 60,785) and metropolitan district, NE England, located in the ...
- Lop Buri - Lop Buri Lop Buri , town (1990 pop. 40,190), capital of Lop Buri prov., S Thailand. Originally ...
- Thon Buri - Thon Buri Thon Buri , district of metropolitan Bangkok, on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, ...
- Richard de Bury - Bury, Richard de: Bury, Richard de: see Richard de Bury.