The Butcher. Achmed Pasha was called djezzar (the
butcher), and is said to have whipped off the heads of his seven wives.
He is famous for his defence of Acre against Napoleon I.
John, ninth lord Clifford, also called The Black,
The Bloody Butcher.
The Duke of Cumberland, second son of George
II. So called from his barbarities in suppressing the rebellion of the
The Royalist Butcher.
Blaise de Montluc, distinguished for his cruelties to the
Protestants in the reign of Charles IX. of France (1502-1572).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Butcher from Fact Monster:
- Susan Butcher - Susan Butcher Born: Dec. 26, 1954 Birthplace: Cambridge, Mass. Sled Dog racer 4-time winner of ...
- Business Cards: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker - Names and meanings based on surname, occupations, and origins from Barker to Wall.
- butcher bird - butcher bird: butcher bird: see shrike.
- Beverly Barton Butcher BYRON - BYRON, Beverly Barton Butcher (1932—) BYRON, Beverly Barton Butcher, (wife Goodloe Edgar ...
- shrike - shrike shrike or butcher bird,predatory songbird found in most parts of the world except Australia ...