[bare skull ], Golgotha [skull ]. The
place of our Lord's crucifixion; so called from some fanciful
resemblance which it bore to a human skull. The present church of “the
Holy Sepulchre” has no claim to be considered the site thereof; it is
far more likely that the “mosque of Omar,” or the dome of the rock,
occupies the real site.
A representation of the successive scenes of the Passion of Christ
in a series of pictures, etc., in a church. The shrine containing the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Calvary from Fact Monster:
- Calvary - Calvary Calvary [Lat.,=a skull] or Golgotha[Heb.,=a skull], in the Gospels, place where Jesus was ...
- Golgotha - Golgotha Golgotha , the same as Calvary.
- George Hodges - Hodges, George Hodges, George, 1856–1919, American Episcopal clergyman, b. Rome, N.Y. While ...
- veronica, Christian relic - veronica veronica [Lat., probably connected with Greek Berenice], relic preserved in St. ...
- Lionello Spada - Spada, Lionello Spada, Lionello , 1576–1622, Italian painter, active mainly in Emilia. His ...