The technical name of a genus, and the popular name of the
species of evergreen shrubs; so named in honour of G. J. Kamel (Latin
Camellius), a Spanish Jesuit. Introduced into England in 1739.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Camellia from Fact Monster:
- camellia - camellia camellia [for G. J. Kamel, a Moravian Jesuit missionary], any plant of the genus Camellia ...
- Knights of the White Camellia - Knights of the White Camellia: Knights of the White Camellia: see Ku Klux Klan.
- Ku Klux Klan - Ku Klux Klan Ku Klux Klan , designation mainly given to two distinct secret societies that played a ...
- japonica - japonica japonica : see quince; camellia.
- Izu-shichito - Izu-shichito Izu-shichito , island group, extending c.300 mi (480 km) S of Tokyo Bay, Japan. ...