In French history, the Camisards are the Protestant insurgents
of the Cevennes, who resisted the violence of the dragonnades, after
the revocation of the edict of Nantes. Their leader was Cavalier,
afterwards Governor of Jersey.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Camisard from Fact Monster:
- Camisards - Camisards Camisards , Protestant peasants of the Cévennes region of France who in 1702 ...
- Roland Laporte - Laporte, Roland Laporte, Roland , 1675–1704, a leader of the Camisards, known as Roland. He ...
- Jean Cavalier - Cavalier, Jean Cavalier, Jean , 1681?–1740, French Protestant soldier, a leader of the ...
- Villars, Claude Louis Hector, duc de - Villars, Claude Louis Hector, duc de Villars, Claude Louis Hector, duc de , 1653–1734, ...
- Berwick, James FitzJames, duke of - Berwick, James FitzJames, duke of Berwick, James FitzJames, duke of , 1670–1734, marshal of ...