A word applied to those who eat human flesh. The usual
derivation is Caribbee, corrupted into Canibbee, supposed to be
man-eaters. Some of the tribes of these islands have no r.
The natives live in great fear of the canibals (i.e.
Caribals, or people of Cariba).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cannibal from Fact Monster:
- cannibalism - cannibalism cannibalism [Span. caníbal, referring to the Carib], eating of human flesh by ...
- Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2003 - Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2003 —Borgna Brunner Vital Stats of the Universe In ...
- Jean-Bédel Bokassa - Bokassa, Jean-Bédel Bokassa, Jean-Bédel , 1921–96, president of Central African ...
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek - Gajdusek, Daniel Carleton Gajdusek, Daniel Carleton , 1923–, American virologist, b. Yonkers, ...
- Shannon Tweed - Biography of Shannon Tweed, B-movie star of Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death