or Carling Sunday [Pea Sunday ]. The
octave preceding Palm Sunday; so called because the special food of the
day was carling- i.e. peas fried in butter. The custom is a
continuation of thee pagan bean-feast. The fifth Sunday in Lent.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Carle from Fact Monster:
- Baron Carl Gustav Emil Mannerheim - Mannerheim, Baron Carl Gustav Emil Mannerheim, Baron Carl Gustav Emil , 1867–1951, Finnish ...
- Carl Milles - Milles, Carl Milles, Carl , 1875–1955, Swedish-American sculptor, whose name originally was ...
- Carl Reinecke - Reinecke, Carl Reinecke, Carl , 1824–1910, German composer, pianist, and conductor. After ...
- Carl Larsson - Larsson, Carl Larsson, Carl , 1853–1919, Swedish painter and illustrator. He was a popular ...
- Carl Rogers - Rogers, Carl Rogers, Carl, 1902–87, American psychologist, b. Oak Park, Ill. In 1930, Rogers ...