A charm medicine. Magic and charms were at one time the chief
“medicines,” and the fact is perpetuated by the word carminative, among
others. Carminatives are given to relieve flatulence. (Latin,
carmen, a charm.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Carminative from Fact Monster:
- Mobsters and Mormons - Starring Mark DeCarlo, Jeanette Puhich, Clayton Taylor, Scott Christopher, Britani Bateman
- zedoary - zedoary zedoary , name for a perennial herb (Curcuma zedoaria) of the Zingiberaceae (ginger family) ...
- dill - dill dill, Old World annual or biennial plant (Anethum graveolens) of the family Umbelliferae ...
- caraway - caraway caraway, biennial Old World plant (Carum carvi) of the family Umbelliferae (parsley ...
- Giovanni Batista Foggini - Foggini, Giovanni Batista Foggini, Giovanni Batista , 1652–1725, Italian sculptor and ...