To braid St. Catharine's tresses. To live a virgin.
“Thou art too fair to be left to braid St. Catharine's tresses”
(Knights of St), 1714. A Russian military order founded by Peter
the Great after his naval victory of Aland, and so named in compliment
to his wife Catharine.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Catharine from Fact Monster:
- Saint Catharines - Saint Catharines Saint Catharines, city (1991 pop. 129,300), S Ont., Canada, on the Welland Ship ...
- Catherine Beecher - Catherine Beecher Writer and educator Born: 1800 Beecher was a pioneer in health and physical ...
- Thorold - Thorold Thorold , city (2001 pop. 18,048), S Ont., Canada, on the Welland Ship Canal; inc. as a ...
- Brock University - Brock University Brock University, at St. Catharines, Ont., Canada; coeducational; founded 1964. It ...
- Linda Evangelista - Linda Evangelista model Born: 5/10/1965 Birthplace: St. Catharines, Ont., Canada Highly successful ...