Curzon says that Solomon cut down a cedar, and buried it on the
spot where the pool of Bethesda used to stand. A few days before the
crucifixion, this cedar floated to the surface of the pool, and was
employed as the upright of the Saviour's cross. (Monasteries of the
Levant.) (See Cross .)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cedar from Fact Monster:
- cedar - cedar cedar, common name for a number of trees, mostly coniferous evergreens. The true cedars ...
- red cedar - red cedar: red cedar: see juniper.
- cedar waxwing - cedar waxwing: cedar waxwing: see waxwing.
- Western red cedar - Western red cedar: Western red cedar: see juniper, arborvitae.
- waxwing - waxwing waxwing, any of three species of perching songbirds of the Northern Hemisphere. Waxwings ...