properly means a sleeping-place. The Jews used to speak of
death as sleep. The Persians call their cemeteries “The Cities
of the Silent.” The Greeks thought it unlucky to pronounce the name of
Death. (Greek, koiiheterion.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cemetery from Fact Monster:
- cemetery - cemetery cemetery, name used by early Christians to designate a place for burying the dead. First ...
- Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington National Cemetery Arlington National Cemetery occupies 612 acres in Virginia on the ...
- Antietam National Cemetery - Antietam National Cemetery: Antietam National Cemetery: see National Parks and Monuments (table).
- Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington National Cemetery Arlington National Cemetery, 420 acres (170 hectares), N Va., across ...
- Veterans Day - Veterans Day statistics, history of the holiday, war poetry, and more.