The political system of the Chartists, who, in 1838, demanded
the People's Charter, consisting of five principles: universal
suffrage, annual parliaments, stipendiary members, vote by ballot, and
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chartism from Fact Monster:
- Chartism - Chartism Chartism, workingmen's political reform movement in Great Britain, 1838–48. It ...
- People's Charter - People's Charter: People's Charter: see Chartism.
- Ernest Charles Jones - Jones, Ernest Charles Jones, Ernest Charles, 1819–69, English radical, lawyer, journalist, ...
- William Benbow - Benbow, William Benbow, William, fl. 1825–40, English pamphleteer and publisher. He is known ...
- Francis Place - Place, Francis Place, Francis, 1771–1854, English radical reformer. A tailor for many years, ...