[kemistry] is from the Arabic kimia, whence al-kimia
(the occult art), from kamai (to conceal).
is that branch of chemistry which is limited to metallic and
non-metallic substances, which are not organised bodies.
is devoted to organised bodies and their elements.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chemistry from Fact Monster:
- Chemistry - Find facts about chemistry.
- inorganic chemistry - inorganic chemistry inorganic chemistry, the study of all the elements and their compounds with the ...
- physical chemistry - physical chemistry physical chemistry, branch of science that combines the principles and methods ...
- organic chemistry - organic chemistry organic chemistry, branch of chemistry dealing with the compounds of carbon. ...
- surface chemistry - surface chemistry surface chemistry, study of chemical reactions in which the reactants are first ...