Fashionable; comme il faut; the mode. This is an archaic
French word in vogue in the seventeenth century. It really is the
Spanish chico, little, also a little boy, and chica, a
little girl or darling. Similarly, wee in Scotch is a loving
term of admiration and pride. (Chic is an abbreviation of the German
geschickt, apt, clever.)
Juse de mots de l'art, je met en marge hic;
J'espere avec le tems que j'entendrai le chic.
Les Satyres de Du Lorens, xii. p. 97.
Avoir le chic.
To have the knack of doing the thing smartly. Chicard
= elegant, de grand style,
are very common
expressions with artists.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chic from Fact Monster:
- What does it mean? apotheosis - apotheosis Dominique was without a doubt the apotheosis of chic—her sense of style was a.) ...
- Elizabeth Arden - Elizabeth Arden (Florence Nightingale Graham) beautician, business executive Born: 1878 Birthplace: ...
- Audrey Hepburn - Audrey Hepburn actress Born: 5/4/1929 Birthplace: Brussels, Belgium Academy Award-winning, ...
- Donna Karan - Donna Karan (Donna Faske) fashion designer, business executive Born: 10/2/1948 Birthplace: Forest ...
- Vivienne Tam - Vivienne Tam fashion designer Birthplace: Canton, China Tam's designs can be described as ...