Fashionable; comme il faut; the mode. This is an archaic
French word in vogue in the seventeenth century. It really is the
Spanish chico, little, also a little boy, and chica, a
little girl or darling. Similarly, wee in Scotch is a loving
term of admiration and pride. (Chic is an abbreviation of the German
geschickt, apt, clever.)
Juse de mots de l'art, je met en marge hic;
J'espere avec le tems que j'entendrai le chic.
Les Satyres de Du Lorens, xii. p. 97.
Avoir le chic.
To have the knack of doing the thing smartly. Chicard and
chicandard = elegant, de grand style, are very common
expressions with artists.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chic from Fact Monster:
- What does it mean? apotheosis - apotheosis Dominique was without a doubt the apotheosis of chic—her sense of style was a.) ...
- Elizabeth Arden - Elizabeth Arden (Florence Nightingale Graham) beautician, business executive Born: 1878 Birthplace: ...
- Audrey Hepburn - Audrey Hepburn actress Born: 5/4/1929 Birthplace: Brussels, Belgium Academy Award-winning, ...
- Donna Karan - Donna Karan (Donna Faske) fashion designer, business executive Born: 10/2/1948 Birthplace: Forest ...
- Vivienne Tam - Vivienne Tam fashion designer Birthplace: Canton, China Tam's designs can be described as ...