(Kios). The man of Chios. Homer, who lived at
Chios, near the Ægean Sea. Seven cities claim to be his place of
“Smyrna, Rhodos, Colophon, Salamis, Chios, Argos, Athe'næ.” —Varro.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chios from Fact Monster:
- Khíos - Khíos Khíos or Chios, island (1991 pop. 51,060), c.350 sq mi (910 sq km), E Greece, ...
- Chios - Chios Chios, Greece: see Khíos.
- Theopompus - Theopompus Theopompus , fl. 4th cent. B.C., Greek historian and rhetorician, b. Chios. He studied ...
- Erasistratus - Erasistratus Erasistratus , fl. 3d cent. B.C., Greek physician, b. Chios. He was the leader of a ...
- Jacques Cœur - Cœur, Jacques Cœur, Jacques , c.1395–1456, French merchant prince and adviser of ...