A carpenter is known by his chips.
A man is known to be a carpenter by the chips in his workshop, so
the profession or taste of other men may be known by their manners or
mode of speech. There is a broadcloth slang as well as a corduroy
slang; a military, naval, school, and university slang.
Such carpenters, such chips.
As the workman, so his work will be.
Properly a brother carpenter, but in its extended meaning applied
to anyone of the same vocation as ourselves. (Es nostræ fasciæ;
The ship's carpenter is, at sea, commonly addressed as “chips.”
Potatoes sliced thin while raw, and fried crisp. Sometimes called
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chip from Fact Monster:
- Charles W. (Chip) PICKERING, Jr. - PICKERING, Charles W. (Chip), Jr. (1963—) PICKERING, Charles W. (Chip), Jr., a Representative ...
- Inventions: Food - Foods invented by accident
- A - C - A - C applet A small Java application that is downloaded by an ActiveX or Java-enabled web browser. ...
- America's "Capitals of the World" - Profiles of ten of America's most interesting (self-proclaimed) capitals of the world.
- P - S - P - S palm A hand-held computer. PC Personal computer. Generally refers to computers running ...