Transferred from the 6th of January to the 25th of December by
Julius I. (337-352). Old Christmas Day. January 6th. When
Gregory XIII. reformed the Calendar in 1582, he omitted ten
days; but when the New Style was adopted in England in 1752, it was
necessary to cut off eleven days, which drove back January 6th
to December 25th of the previous year. So what we now call January 6th
in the Old Style would be Christmas Day, or December 25th.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Christmas Day from Fact Monster:
- What Is Boxing Day? - History of Boxing Day including church alms boxes, date, and the Feast of St. Stephen.
- Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester | Royal Biographies - Royal Biographies: Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester by David Johnson RELATED LINKS Royal ...
- Advent: Dates, Traditions, and History - Learn the history and symbolism of the Christian holiday Advent. In 2009, Advent begins on November 29
- Brooke Mueller - Biography of Brooke Mueller, Charlie Sheen's wife after Denise Richards
- Natal, city, Brazil - Natal Natal , city (1991 pop. 606,887), capital of Rio Grande do Norte state, NE Brazil, just above ...