City of God
(The). The church or whole body of believers; the
kingdom of Jesus Christ, in contradistinction to the city of the World,
called by John Bunyan the City of Destruction. The phrase is that of
St. Augustine; one of his chief works bearing that title, or rather
De Civitate Dei.
City of Lanterns
). A supposititious city in Lucian's Veræ
situate somewhere beyond the zodiac. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on City of God from Fact Monster:
- Otto of Freising - Otto of Freising Otto of Freising , b. after 1111, d. 1158, German chronicler, bishop of Freising. ...
- St. Augustine of Hippo - Biography of St. Augustine of Hippo, Influential Christian thinker
- Paulus Orosius - Orosius, Paulus Orosius, Paulus , c.385–420, Iberian priest, theologian, and historian, b. ...
- E. L. Doctorow - Doctorow, E. L. Doctorow, E. L. (Edgar Laurence Doctorow), 1931–, American novelist, b. New ...
- Saint Augustine: His Works and Teachings - His Works and Teachings St. Augustine's influence on Christianity is thought by many to be ...