City of Saints
Montreal, in Canada, is so named because all the streets are
named after saints.
“Mr. Geo. Martin ... said he came from [Montreal] a city of saints,
where all the streets were named after saints.” —Secular Thought,
September 10th, 1891.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on City of Saints from Fact Monster:
- Saint Marys City - Saint Marys City Saint Marys City, village (1990 pop. 3,200), St. Marys co., S Md., on the St. ...
- Fort-de-France - Fort-de-France Fort-de-France , city (1999 pop. 94,049), capital of the French overseas dept. of ...
- Saint Albans, city, England - Saint Albans Saint Albans , city (1991 pop. 76,709) and district, Hertfordshire, E central England. ...
- Sir Richard Francis Burton - Burton, Sir Richard Francis Burton, Sir Richard Francis, 1821–90, English explorer, writer, ...
- Saint Gall, canton, Switzerland - Saint Gall Saint Gall , Ger. Sankt Gallen, canton (1993 pop. 432,800), 777 sq mi (2,012 sq km), NE ...