(A), strictly speaking is a large town with a
corporation and cathedral; but any large town is so called in ordinary
speech. In the Bible it means a town having walls and gates.
“The eldest son of the first man [Cain] builded a city (Gen. iv.
17)- not, of course, a Nineveh or a Babylon, but still a city.” —Rawbinson: Origin of Nations, part i. chap. i. p. 10.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on City from Fact Monster:
- city - city city, densely populated urban center, larger than a village or a town, whose inhabitants are ...
- Philadelphia City Hall - Image of Philadelphia City Hall in Philadelphia, Pa. designed by John McArthur Jr. in 1901.
- Radio City Music Hall - Image of Radio City Music Hall designed by Edward Durell Stone in 1932.
- San Francisco City Hall - Image of San Francisco City Hall designed by Arthur Brown Jr. in 1915.
- The Top Ten: Most Athletic/Active Cities - December 17 - 24 Most Athletic/Active Cities, 2007 Rank City Score 1. Denver 4.70 2. San Diego 4.59 ...