was one of the nine Muses, the inventress of historical and
Addison is so called because his papers in the Spectator
signed by one of the four letters in this word, probably the initial
letters of Chelsea, London, Islington, Office. (See
See Professor Morley's “Introduction to the Spectator, ” on the subject.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Clio from Fact Monster:
- Clio - Clio: Clio: see Muses.
- Muses - Muses Muses, in Greek religion and mythology, patron goddesses of the arts, daughters of Zeus and ...
- The Nine Muses - The Nine Muses The Nine Muses were Greek goddesses who ruled over the arts and sciences and offered ...
- George Wallace - Biography of George Wallace, Segregationist governor of the 1960s
- John STEELE - STEELE, John (1764—1815) STEELE, John, a Representative from North Carolina; born in ...