He's in clover. In luck, in prosperous circumstances, in a good
situation. The allusion is to cattle feeding in clover fields.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Clover from Fact Monster:
- clover - clover clover, any plant of the genus Trifolium, leguminous hay and forage plants of the family ...
- water clover - water clover water clover, common name for various species of aquatic ferns.
- sweet clover - sweet clover sweet clover or melilot, Eurasian and North African leguminous herbs of the genus ...
- buffalo clover - buffalo clover: buffalo clover: see lupine.
- Benjamin Hutchinson CLOVER - CLOVER, Benjamin Hutchinson (1837—1899) CLOVER, Benjamin Hutchinson, a Representative from ...