Cut your coat according to your cloth. Curtail your expenses to the
amount of your income; live within your means. Si non possis quod
velis, velis id quod possis.
Near is my coat, but nearer is my skin. “Tunica pallío propior est.”
“Ego proximus mihi.” To baste one's coat. To dust his jacket; to beat
To wear the king's coat.
To be a soldier. Turning one's coat for luck. It was an
ancient superstition that this was a charm against evil spirits. (See Turncoat)
A means for our deliverance: `Turn your cloaks,
Quoth hee, `for Pucke is busy in these oakes.'
Bishop Corbett: Iter Boreale
Coat of Arms
A surcoat worn by knights over their armour, decorated with devices
by which heralds described the wearer. Hence the heraldic device of a
family. Coat-armour was invented in the Crusading expeditions, to
distinguish the various noble warriors when wrapped in complete steel,
and it was introduced into England by Richard Lion-heart.
Coat of many Colours
(Gen. xxxvii. 3). Harmer, in his Observations (vol. ii.
p. 386), informs us that “many
colours” in this connection does not mean striped, flowered
embroidered, or “printed” with several colours, but having “divers
pieces of different colours sewed together” in patchwork. The Hebrew
word is passeem. In 2 Sam. xiii. 18 we are told that king's
daughters wore a garment of many colours or divers pieces. Dr.
Adam Clarke says that similar garments “are worn by persons of
distinction in Persia, India, and some parts of China to the present
day.” The great offence was this: Jacob was a sheik, and by giving
Joseph a “prince's robe” he virtually announced him his heir. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Coat from Fact Monster:
- flat-coated retriever - flat-coated retriever flat-coated retriever, breed of large sporting dog developed in England in ...
- soft-coated wheaten terrier - soft-coated wheaten terrier soft-coated wheaten terrier, breed of medium-sized dog developed and ...
- coat of arms - arms, coat of: arms, coat of: see blazonry; heraldry.
- coat of arms - coat of arms: coat of arms: see blazonry and heraldry.
- curly-coated retriever - curly-coated retriever curly-coated retriever, breed of large sporting dog conjectured to be ...