The Alexandrine Column. Made of granite; in memory of the
The Column of Antoninus.
At Rome; made of marble, 176 feet high; in memory of the Emperor
Marcus Aurelius Antonius. Like that of Trajan, this column is covered
externally with spiral bas-reliefs representing the wars carried on by
Sixtus V. caused the original statue of this column to be supplanted
by a figure of St. Paul. (See Trajan's Column.)
The Column of Arcadius.
At Constantinople; made of marble.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Column from Fact Monster:
- column - column column, vertical architectural support, circular or polygonal in plan. A column is generally ...
- spinal column - spinal column spinal column, bony column forming the main structural support of the skeleton of ...
- vertebral column - vertebral column: vertebral column: see spinal column.
- chromatography: Column Chromatography - Column Chromatography In column chromatography the adsorbant is packed into a column and a solution ...
- Jesse Column DICKEY - DICKEY, Jesse Column (1808—1890) DICKEY, Jesse Column, a Representative from Pennsylvania; ...