A crabtree comb. A cudgel applied to the head. To smooth your
hair with a crabtree comb, is to give the head a knock with a stick.
Reynard's wonderful comb.
This comb existed only in the brain of Master Fox. He said it was
made of the Panthera's bone, the perfume of which was so fragrant that
no one could resist following it; and the wearer of the comb was always
cheerful and merry. (Reynard the Fox, chap. ii.)
To comb one's head.
To humiliate a person, or to give him a “set down.”
“I'll carry you with me to my country box, and keep you out of harm's
way, till I find you a wife who will comb your head for you.” —Bulwer-Lytton: What will he do with it? iv. 16.
To comb your noddle with a three-legged stool
(Taming of the Shrew, i. 1) is to beat you about the head
with a stool. Many stools, such as those used by milkmaids, are still
made with three legs; and these handy weapons seem to have been used at
one time pretty freely, especially by angry women.
To cut one's comb.
To take down a person's conceit. In allusion to the practice of
cutting the combs of capons.
To set up one's comb
is to be cockish and vainglorious.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Comb from Fact Monster:
- combing - combing combing, process that follows carding in the preparation of fibers for spinning, lays the ...
- Émile Combes - Combes, Émile Combes, Émile , 1835–1921, French statesman. An able politician ...
- William Combe - Combe, William Combe, William , 1741–1823, English satirist and miscellaneous writer, b. ...
- comb jelly - comb jelly comb jelly, common name for transparent organisms of the phylum Ctenophora.
- Diddy - Diddy (Sean “Diddy” Combs) producer, musician Born: 11/4/1969 Birthplace: New York City ...