John of Nepomuc, canon of Prague, suffered death rather than
violate the seal of confession. The Emperor Wenceslas ordered him to be
thrown off a bridge into the Moldau, because he refused to reveal the
confession of the empress. He was canonised as St. John Nepomucen.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Confession from Fact Monster:
- confession - confession confession, in law, the formal admission of criminal guilt, usually obtained in the ...
- Augsburg Confession - Augsburg Confession: Augsburg Confession: see creed 4.
- Westminster Confession - Westminster Confession: Westminster Confession: see creed 6.
- Confessing Church - Confessing Church Confessing Church, Ger. Bekennende Kirche, German Protestant movement. It was ...
- Confessions of a Shopaholic - Starring Isla Fisher, Hugh Dancy, Joan Cusack, John Goodman, John Lithgow