(The). The accession of William I. to the crown of
England. So called because his right depended on his conquest of
Harold, the reigning king. (1066.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Conquest from Fact Monster:
- Mexico - Information on Mexico — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Norman Conquest - Norman Conquest Norman Conquest, period in English history following the defeat (1066) of King ...
- Ionia: Conquest and Reconquest - Conquest and Reconquest In the 7th cent. B.C. the Ionian cities were invaded by the Cimmerians, but ...
- Aztec: Spanish Conquest - Spanish Conquest When the Spaniards, under Hernán Cortés, arrived in 1519, the Aztec ...
- Cane Toads: The Conquest - Synopsis, rating, and other information