A silly old coot. Stupid as a coot. The coot is a small
Bald as a coot.
The coot has a strong, straight, and somewhat conical bill, the
base of which tends to push up the forehead, and there dilates, so as
to form a remarkable naked patch.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Coot from Fact Monster:
- coot - coot coot, common name for a migratory marsh bird related to rails and gallinules and found in ...
- Bellomont, Richard Coote, earl of - Bellomont, Richard Coote, earl of Bellomont, Richard Coote, earl of , 1636–1701, colonial ...
- Thomas Banks - Banks, Thomas Banks, Thomas, 1735–1805, English neoclassical sculptor, studied at the Royal ...
- Haidar Ali - Haidar Ali Haidar Ali or Hyder Ali, 1722–82, Indian ruler. A Muslim of peasant stock, he rose ...
- Burwell BASSETT - BASSETT, Burwell (1764—1841) BASSETT, Burwell, a Representative from Virginia; born in New ...