The Jacobite Christians of Egypt, who have for eleven centuries
been in possession of the patriarchal chair of Alexandria. The word is
probably derived from Coptos, the metropolis of the Thebaid. These
Christians conduct their worship in a dead language called “Coptic”
(language of the Copts).
“The Copts [of Egypt] circumcise, confess to their priests, and
abstain from swine's flesh. They are Jacobites in their creed.” —S.
Olin; Travels in Egypt (vol. i. chap viii. p. 102).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Copts from Fact Monster:
- Copts - Copts Copts , the native Christian minority of Egypt; estimates of the number of Copts in Egypt ...
- Afroasiatic languages: The Egyptian Languages - The Egyptian Languages The Egyptian branch of the Afroasiatic family comprises Ancient Egyptian and ...
- Egypt: People - People The vast majority of Egypt's inhabitants live in the Nile valley and delta, and the rest ...
- Holy Sepulcher - Holy Sepulcher Holy Sepulcher , church in Jerusalem, officially the Church of the Resurrection. It ...
- Christianity: Divisions within the Religion - Divisions within the Religion In the two millennia of its history Christianity has been divided by ...