[a raven]. Janos Hunyady, Governor of Hungary, is so
called from the raven on his shield. There were two Romans so called-
viz. Valerius Maximus Corvinus Messala, and Valerius Messala Corvinus.
Marcus Valerius was so called because, in a single combat with a
gigantic Gaul during the Gallic war, a raven flew into the Gaul's face
and so harassed him that he could neither defend himself nor attack his
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Corvinus from Fact Monster:
- Matthias Corvinus - Matthias Corvinus Matthias Corvinus , 1443?–1490, king of Hungary (1458–90) and Bohemia ...
- Matthias Corvinus - Corvinus, Matthias: Corvinus, Matthias: see Matthias Corvinus.
- Uladislaus II - Uladislaus II Uladislaus II , Hung. Ulászló II, c.1456–1516, king of Hungary ...
- Stephen Zápolya - Zápolya, Stephen Zápolya, Stephen , d. 1499, palatine (regent) of Hungary ...
- Wilhelm Raabe - Raabe, Wilhelm Raabe, Wilhelm , 1831–1910, German novelist, whose pseudonym was Jakob ...