To appeal to the country. To dissolve Parliament in order to
ascertain the wish of the country by a new election of representatives.
Father of his country.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Country from Fact Monster:
- Countries of the World: Geography, maps, flags, history, and more - Facts on world and country flags, maps, geography, history, statistics, disasters, current events, and international relations. Profiles of every country include geography, maps, history, current ruler, area, population, capital, largest city, and more.
- The Top Ten: Largest Countries - December 17 - 24 Largest Countries Rank Country Square Miles 1. Russia 6,592,735 2. Canada ...
- The Top Ten: Most Corrupt Countries - December 17 - 24 Most Corrupt Countries, 2009 Rank Country 1. Somalia 2. Afghanistan 3. Myanmar 4. ...
- The Top Ten: Least Corrupt Countries - December 17 - 24 Least Corrupt Countries, 2009 Rank Country 1. New Zealand 2. Denmark 3. Singapore ...
- The Top Ten: Least Corrupt Countries - December 17 - 24 Least Corrupt Countries, 2006 Rank Country 1. Finland Iceland New Zealand 4. ...