Court of Love
A judicial court for deciding affairs of the heart, established
in Provence during the palmy days of the Troubadours. The following is
a case submitted to their judgment: A lady listened to one admirer,
squeezed the hand of another, and touched with her toe the foot of a
third. Query, Which of these three was the favoured suitor?
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Court of Love from Fact Monster:
- courtly love - courtly love courtly love, philosophy of love and code of lovemaking that flourished in France and ...
- chivalry - chivalry chivalry , system of ethical ideals that arose from feudalism and had its highest ...
- courts of love - courts of love: courts of love: see chivalry and courtly love.
- knighthood - knighthood: knighthood: see chivalry; courtly love; knight.
- Reinmar von Zweter - Reinmar von Zweter Reinmar von Zweter , c.1200–c.1260, German minnesinger. He is best known ...