The cow that nourished Ymir with four streams of milk was
called Audhumla. (Scandinavian mythology.) (See
Curst cows. (See under Curst.) The whiter the cow, the surer is it to go to the altar.
The richer the prey, the more likely is it to be seized.
“The system of impropriations grew so rapidly that, in the course of
three centuries, more than a third part of all the benefices in England
became such, and those the richest, for the whiter the cow, the surer
was it to go to the alter.” —Blant: Reformation in England, p.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cow from Fact Monster:
- dairying - dairying dairying, business of producing, processing, and distributing milk and milk products. ...
- cattle - cattle cattle, name for the ruminant mammals of the genus Bos, and particularly those of the ...
- cow - cow: cow: see cattle; dairying.
- Cowes - Cowes Cowes , town (1991 pop. 16,134), Isle of Wight, S England. A resort town with lovely ...
- cow lily - cow lily: cow lily: see water lily.