So called from the noise it makes when it goes off.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cracker from Fact Monster:
- A - C - A - C applet A small Java application that is downloaded by an ActiveX or Java-enabled web browser. ...
- Math: Flashcards, multiplication, fractions, conversions, measurement - Build your skills with math flashcards and learn more about roman numerals, prime numbers, metric conversions, multiplication, factorials, factors, fractions, and all about money.
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...
- William T. Thompson - Thompson, William T. Thompson, William T., 1812–82, American humorist and editor, b. Ravenna, ...
- Games, quizzes, hangman, math games, same game, roman numeral games - Arcade style, educational games and teaching tools for kids and teachers. Pop culture quizzes and crosswords. Flash based, interactive math, science, and word games.