(3 syl.). The Crystalline sphere. According to Ptolemy,
between the “primum mobile” and the firmament or sphere of the fixed
stars comes the crystalline sphere, which oscillates or has a
shimmering motion that interferes with the regular motion of the stars.
They pass the planets seven, and pass the `fixed'
And that crystalline sphere, whose balance weighs
The trepidation talked (of).
Milton: Paradise Lost,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Crystalline from Fact Monster:
- copper sulfate - copper sulfate copper sulfate, common name for the blue crystalline heptahydrate of cupric sulfate, ...
- ferric sulfate - ferric sulfate ferric sulfate or iron (III) sulfate,chemical compound, Fe2(SO4)3, a yellow rhombic ...
- graphite - graphite graphite , an allotropic form of carbon, known also as plumbago and black lead. It is dark ...
- aquamarine - aquamarine aquamarine [Lat.,=seawater], transparent beryl with a blue or bluish-green color. ...
- siderite - siderite siderite or chalybite, a mineral, varying in color from brown, green, or gray to black and ...