An ill-mannered lout. The cub of a bear is said to have no shape
until its dam has licked it into form.
A bear's a savage beast, of all
Most ugly and unnatural;
Whelped without form until the dam
Has licked it into shape and frame.
Butler: Hudibras, i. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cub from Fact Monster:
- Private Planes: Piper Cub - "Flies like a Cub" is still the pilot's ultimate compliment for an airplane
- Major League Baseball Parks - The best of Major League baseball parks
- Boxing - Boxing Weight Class Champion Lt. Flyweight (1053/4 lbs) Shamil Sabyrov, USSR Hipolito Ramos, CUB ...
- Animal Names: Male, Female, and Young - Animal Names: Male, Female, and Young Animal Male Female Young Ass Jack Jenny Foal Bear Boar Sow ...
- Boxing - Boxing Weight Class Champion Lt. Flyweight (105 3/4lbs) Rogelio Marcelo, CUB Daniel Bojinov, BUL ...