or Cuss. Not worth a curse. I don't care a curse
(or cuss). Here “curse” is a corruption of cerse or
kerse. Similarly, the Latin nihil [nihilum ] is ne hilum,
not [worth] the black eye of a bean. Other phrases are “not a straw,” “not a pin,” “not a rap,” “not a dam,” “not a bit,”
“not a jot,” “not a pin's point,” “not a button.” (Anglo-Saxon,
cerse, cress; German, Kirsche, a cherry.)
“Wisdom and witt nowe is not worthe a kerse.”
Robert Langeland: Piers Ploughman.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Curse from Fact Monster:
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - Starring Helena Bonham Carter, Peter Sallis, Ralph Fiennes, John Thomson, Peter Kay
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl: 1 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl How well do you know the first movie in the ...
- Balak - Balak Balak , in the Bible, king of Moab who hired Balaam to curse Israel. Balac is a Greek form.
- Bar-jesus - Bar-jesus Bar-jesus , called Elymas, in the New Testament, Jewish sorcerer at Paphos who tried to ...
- Naboth - Naboth Naboth , in the Bible, Jezreelite stoned to death because he would not let King Ahab have ...