(The). In fortification, the line of rampart which joins
together the flanks of two “bastions” (q.v.).
To ring down the curtain. To bring a matter to an end. A
theatrical term. When the act or play is over, the bell rings and the
green curtain comes down.
“A few more matters of routine will be accomplished, and then the
curtain will be rung down on the Session of 1891.” —Newspaper
Paragraph, July 27th, 1891.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Curtain from Fact Monster:
- Torn Curtain (1966) - Starring Paul Newman, Julie Andrews, Lila Kedrova, HansjÃ¶rg Felmy, Tamara Toumanova
- cold war: The Iron Curtain and Containment - The Iron Curtain and Containment Mutual suspicion had long existed between the West and the USSR, ...
- The Berlin Wall - The Berlin Wall A look back at the fall of Communism and Soviet influence The Berlin Wall RELATED ...
- 1940 – 1949 World History - 1940 – 1949 World History Winston Churchill (1874–1965) National Archives and Records ...
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...