(Hebrew, dag On, the fish On). The idol of the
Philistines; half woman and half fish. (See Atergata.)
Dagon his name; sea-monster, upward man
And downward fish; yet had his temple high
Rear'd in Azotus dreaded through the coast
Of Palestine, in Gath and Ascalon,
And Accaron and Gaza's frontier bounds.
Milton: Paradise Lost, book i. 402.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dagon from Fact Monster:
- Dagon - Dagon Dagon , god of fertility, widely worshiped in the Middle East, particularly in Canaan. In the ...
- Ashdod - Ashdod Ashdod [Heb.,=stronghold], city (1994 pop. 120,100), SW Israel, on the Mediterranean Sea. It ...
- Yangon - Yangon Yangon , formerly Rangoon, city (1983 pop. 2,458,712), capital of Myanmar and of Yangon ...
- Conan the Destroyer - Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wilt Chamberlain, Grace Jones
- Swimming - Swimming Men Event Time 100m Free Rowdy Gaines, USA 49.80 OR Mark Stockwell, AUS 50.24 Per ...