A corrupt form of “dey-ery,” Middle English deierie and
deyyerye, from deye, a dairymaid.
“The dey or farm-woman entered with her pitchers, to deliver the
milk for the family.” —Scott: Fair Maid of Perth, chap. xxxii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dairy from Fact Monster:
- dairying - dairying dairying, business of producing, processing, and distributing milk and milk products. ...
- Global Food Crisis - 2008 Food Crisis|Food shortages and price increases spark violence and debate
- creamery - creamery: creamery: see dairying.
- cow - cow: cow: see cattle; dairying.
- Bollingen - Bollingen Bollingen , town, Bern canton, W central Switzerland. It is a dairy and industrial ...