(2 syl.). Handcuffs. This is derived from “Darby and Joan,”
because originally two prisoners were linked together as Darby and
“Hark ye! Jem Clink will fetch you the darbies.” —Sir W. Scott:
Peveril of the Peak.
Johnny Darbies, policemen, is a perversion' of the French
gensdarmes, in conjunction with the above.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Darbies from Fact Monster:
- John Nelson Darby - Darby, John Nelson Darby, John Nelson, 1800–1882, one of the founders of the Plymouth ...
- Darby - Darby Darby, borough (1990 pop. 11,140), Delaware co., SE Pa., a suburb adjacent to Philadelphia; ...
- Harry DARBY - DARBY, Harry (1895—1987) Senate Years of Service: 1949-1950 Party: Republican DARBY, Harry, a ...
- Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) - Starring Albert Sharpe, Sean Connery, Janet Munro, Jimmy O'Dea, Kieron Moore
- Thomas SMITH - SMITH, Thomas (Birthdateunknown—1846) SMITH, Thomas, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born ...