in printer's copy. One dash under a word in MS. means
that the part so dashed must be printed in italics; two dashes
means small capitals; three dashes, large capitals.
Cut a dash.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dash from Fact Monster:
- Dash - Dash Indicates a sudden break or abrupt change in continuity: “If—if you'll just ...
- dash - dash: dash: see punctuation.
- 200-Meter Dash - 200-Meter Dash 1900 John Tewksbury, United States 22.20 1904 Archie Hahn, United States 21.60 1908 ...
- 400-Meter Dash - 400-Meter Dash 1896 Thomas Burke, United States 54.20 1900 Maxwell Long, United States 49.40 1904 ...
- 100-Meter Dash - 100-Meter Dash 1896 Thomas Burke, United States 12.00 1900 Francis W. Jarvis, United States 10.80 ...